When someone we know and care about is impacted by domestic violence, it is hard to know how to help.
Friends and family are important in supporting people experiencing domestic violence so they feel empowered to leave.
Please contact Family Violence Prevention Services or the 24-hour National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 to discuss your concerns and questions.
The person experiencing abuse should always be the decision maker about leaving a relationship or getting help. Stay connected, stay supportive, but don’t force anyone to make decisions before they are ready.
5 Things to say to a victim
- “I am afraid for your safety.”
- “I am afraid for the safety of your children.”
- “It will only get worse.”
- “I am here for you when you are ready for change.”
- “You don’t deserve to be abused.”